These past few years, this one especially, has been an opportunity where more than before I have been able to research and formulate strong personal beliefs or opinions of mine. In doing so I have become more confident and understanding of who I am and what I stand for as an individual. I have no problem in sharing those views of mine, perhaps they can spark valuable discussion for both myself and others. Social media is often used as a forum where individuals may express themselves and make public their worldviews. Many times unfortunately this is done improperly thus leading to hurt feelings, contention and division. Personally I live by the following quote,
“I never considered a difference of opinion in politics, in religion, in philosophy, as cause for withdrawing from a friend.” – Thomas Jefferson to William Hamilton, April 22, 1800
As such I feel inclined to list a number of my personal views, mantras opinions or below perhaps to make my person clear to those who care. Hopefully any differences between myself and the reader are given equal respect. Consider this the Jaxon Washburn Manifesto.
1. I believe in God. He is a personal, all -loving, all-powerful, all-loving, all comprehensive organizer, sustained, creator and ruler of the universe who is a fully perfected being representing the Sacred Masculine. He is complimented with an equally significant representation of the Sacred Feminine. He has a Son, Jesus Christ who shares in power, will, love, purpose and perfection. Both have physical bodies of flesh and blood like we do. Christ was the sole Savior and Redeemer of the world through whose sacrifice was balanced the Eternal Laws of Justice, Order or Law and Mercy, Love and Sacrifice. Christ conquered both the affects of Physical Death (Mortality) and Spiritual Death (Sin) thus allowing all to become free from their bonds so long as they believe in Him in this life or the next. All have an equal opportunity and chance for salvation regardless of the constricts of birth, culture, personal limitations or any other disadvantage. All have the innate ability to know truth, to act according or contrary to that truth and to be directly connected to God through the Holy Spirit. All are born literal sons and daughters of God, hold a sacred divine nature and can grow to become exactly like God, inheriting all that he has, through faith and obedience in Him. There is no ontological difference between God and man, the only divide is due to imperfection caused by Mortality, sin, inexperience and ignorance.
2. I am a devout member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints. I believe it is a Restoration of the Original Church of Christ organized by Christ himself circa 33 AD. This same Gospel was then taught by His Apostles through the proper authority of the Priesthood until they were eventually killed off, the purity of teachings distorted and the line of authority lost and corrupted. I believe that this original Gospel was restored in 1830 to the Prophet Joseph Smith Jr through the Apostles Peter, James and John. I believe that the Book of Mormon, which Smith translated by the power of God, is a legitimate ancient record with tangible historical, linguistic and archeological evidence supporting its divinity and authenticity of the Word of God. Likewise I believe in the historical credibility and spiritual significance of the Bible, the Doctrine and Covenants and the Pearl of Great Price (especially the Book of Abraham) as the Word of God. I believe that Joseph Smith was a Prophet of God, a man of the highest character, virtue and personal conduct- perfect, of course not, a true disciple of Christ, absolutely. Likewise I believe the same of all the prophets following (i.e. Brigham Young etc.)
3. I believe that all individuals everywhere have a personal and eternal responsibility to seek, find and know truth for themselves. This is done by a balance of satisfying one’s rationality, spirituality and emotions in the presence of pure, unadulterated truth. Truth is not subjective, it stands independent of any and all. Individuals are responsible with following what they know to be true without compromise. One should ultimately worry and be concerned solely for oneself and none else; however the sharing and discussion of personal beliefs is a wholly acceptable and necessary action which works towards the betterment of individuals and society. Mutual respect and consideration should be afforded to all those who participate in such.
4. Critical thinking, rationality and morality should never be compromised for the sake of personal beliefs or worldviews whether they consist of religious, irreligious, political, ethical, cultural or societal viewpoints. There is no question that cannot be asked, there is no conjecture not worth examining and there is no doubt, hesitation or critique not worth addressing. If one believes that their truth is True, no simple statement or examination should be feared so as to compromise it. If its true it stands, if not it falls, paving way for further enlightenment. Questions and skepticism should be used to further ones progression and understanding, never as an excuse or barrier when truth becomes hard to swallow.
5. In terms of politics I stand somewhat on the moderate right. I completely oppose abortion except perhaps in some cases (rape, incest, harm to the mother, severe defects) but even then it is a major decision that takes legitimate contemplation. I am fiscally conservative, support small government and strong state decision making. I am opposed to foreign intervention except in the case of threat to national security and/or a humanitarian crisis. I am for assisting and accepting refugees (with due screening), reform to legal immigration thereby decreasing illegal immigration. I am supportive of civil marriages for persons of any sexual orientation so long as my religious practices or beliefs are not compromised, as well as upholding the civil liberties of all. I believe marriage between a man and a woman to be divinely appointed by God, the highest form of which resides in eternal marriage. I am for equality among the treatment and beliefs of any and all religious group or organization whether they be Christianity, Islam, Sikhism, Hinduism, Scientology, Atheism, Wicca, Satanism, Mormonism etc. I am also in favor of ecologically smart and sustainable actions and energy sources. I am for free-market capitalism in a Democratic Republic with checks, balances and the separation of powers. Above all, vote with your conscience.
6. If you don’t vote, don’t complain. If you see a problem, don’t murmur. Be productive and self sufficient. Don’t be dependent on others. Work hard for yourself and your family. Be educated. Take responsibility. Be open minded and yet indifferent to the criticisms of others. Appreciate what you have. The only thing you are entitled to are your individual thoughts, experiences and rights, nothing else. Anything else you desire you need to work towards obtaining and preserving. In the recent words of Clint Eastwood, “Don’t be a wussy” (edit intended)
7. Live the Golden Rule. Show respect and civility to all. Balance political correctness and respect so that real conversations about sensitive issues can be had without sacrificing one’s own perspectives or views. Don’t be overly sensitive and don’t be hostile. Don’t say or do anything not worth doing.
8. Avoid use of any and all logical fallacies; it lowers the IQ of society.
9. I believe in divinely inspired roles and responsibilities between men and women. Both are equally important. Men provide and protect their families, women sustain and nurture them. Outside circumstances affords this topic flexibility. I believe in two genders. I accept others rights to identify how they wish, I will show the same respect however my beliefs stand the same. I respect and care for all equally.
10. Experience brings true knowledge, Sacrifice true understanding, and charity true love. This is truth.
More to come perhaps in the future, respond, comment, disagree or question as you see fit.