“… Mormonism is truth, in other words the doctrine of the Latter-day Saints, is truth. … The first and fundamental principle of our holy religion is, that we believe that we have a right to embrace all, and every item of truth, without limitation or without being circumscribed or prohibited by the creeds or superstitious notions of men, or by the dominations of one another, when that truth is clearly demonstrated to our minds, and we have the highest degree of evidence of the same.”
-Letter from Joseph Smith to Isaac Galland, Mar. 22, 1839, Liberty Jail, Liberty, Missouri, published in Times and Seasons, Feb. 1840, pp. 53–54; spelling and grammar modernized.
Even the most superficial of interactions with me, whether online or otherwise, will usually leave a person knowing one thing: I love religion. Now when I say religion, I am usually defining it in the broadest of terms, that is synonymous with worldview.
Dictionary.com defines the two as:
- a set of beliefs concerning the cause, nature, and purpose of the universe, especially when considered as the creation of a superhuman agency or agencies, usually involving devotional and ritual observances, and often containing a moral code governing the conduct of human affairs.
- a specific fundamental set of beliefs and practices generally agreed upon by a number of persons or sects: the Christian religion; the Buddhist religion.
- the body of persons adhering to a particular set of beliefs and practices: a world council of religions.
- the life or state of a monk, nun, etc.: to enter religion.
- the practice of religious beliefs; ritual observance of faith.
- something one believes in and follows devotedly; a point or matter of ethics or conscience: to make a religion of fighting prejudice.
- religions, Archaic. religious rites: painted priests performing religions deep into the night.
- Archaic. strict faithfulness; devotion: a religion to one’s vow.
Worldview or Weltanschauung
You can expect that some of the books of scripture covered will include:
- The Bhagavad Gita
- The Holy Qur’an
- The Upanishads
- The Dhammapada
- The Tao Te Ching
- The Seven Valleys and the Four Valleys
- The Zohar
- The Books of Enoch: The Angels, the Watchers and The Nephillim
- The Lost Books of the Bible
- A History of God
- Atheism: The Case Against God
- Who Made God? Searching For a Theory of Everything
- The Science of Self-Realization